Bruce M. Smith
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
Bruce Smith leverages his extensive experience to strategically manage business risk. Bruce proactively identifies issues that affect the bottom line. He negotiates to obtain results and achieve client goals. Bruce’s general practice includes, but is not limited to business and corporate law, environmental, health and safety law, administrative law and general litigation. To put Bruce to work for you, contact the Goosmann Law Firm today.
LICENSED IN: Iowa and Nebraska.
- University of South Florida, Tampa, Bachelor of Arts, with honors, 1975
- University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Juris Doctor, 1978
BPI Technology, Inc.: Dakota Dunes, SD
Senior Counsel/EHS Director, 2007-2012
- EPA and OSHA program compliance and representation of company in administrative hearings/enforcement proceedings. Government permitting and compliance. Oversight and management of company health and safety programs at state and federal levels. Management of outside litigation, including civil, criminal and workers compensation. Real estate transactional law and risk management.
Tyson Foods, Inc.:
Outside Defense Counsel, 2003-2004
- Served as outside defense counsel for Tyson Foods in the State of Nebraska concerning all litigated workers’ compensation cases.
IBP Inc., Tyson Foods, Inc.: Dakota Dunes, SD
Senior Counsel, 1992-2003
- Managed in-house legal department and reported to EVP/CFO. Primary areas of responsibility included acquisitions/due diligence, company-wide oversight of environmental, health and safety, risk management, workers compensation, EPA, Employment/HR, OSHA compliance, USDA, real estate, transportation, outside litigation management, and legal administration. Special focus on EPA and OSHA compliance involving permitting and compliance, inspection oversight, civil administrative enforcement and review, criminal investigations and enforcement. Additional emphasis on EPA RMP/OSHA PSM program compliance concerning hazardous chemicals.
U.S. Department of Justice:
Assistant United States Attorney, 1986-1989
- Serving Northern District of West Virginia and Western District of Pennsylvania. Federal grand jury work, criminal trial/prosecution and appellate review.
Smith & Boyd Law Offices:
Private Practice of Law, 1978-1986
- General practice of law including probate/estates, municipal, county and school law, commercial and business law, insurance law, defense litigation and workers compensation.